The 52nd Japan Record Awards were presented on December 30 at the New National Theatre, Tokyo. For the third consecutive year, EXILE took home the top prize (the Japan Record Award), thanks to their song “I Wish For You.” They are only the second artist to win the award for three straight years, after Hamasaki Ayumi in 2001-2003.
“I Wish For You” was one of ten candidates for the award. The other nominees were:
- “Aitai Riyuu” – AAA
- “Arigatou” – Ikimono Gakari
- “Tell Me Goodbye” – BIG BANG
- “Toilet no Kamisama” – Uemura Kana
- “Nijiiro no Bayon” – Hikawa Kiyoshi
- “New World” – w-inds.
- “Beginner” – AKB48
- “Matsushima Kikou” – Mizumori Kaori
- “Ready to be a lady” – GIRL NEXT DOOR
The other award that was revealed during the ceremony was the title of Best New Artist, which went to idol group S/mileage. The other three nominees were: