A9, formerly known as alice nine. or Alice Nine (アリス九號. / アリスナイン), is a five piece Japanese rock band in the visual-kei scene. At the end of May of 2010, it was announced that they had switched labels to Tokuma Japan Communications. From March 1st, 2015 they changed the band name in A9 and they are now indipendent.
- King Records (2004-2010)
- Tokuma Japan Communications (2010-2013)
- Universal Music (2013-2014)
- NINE HEADS RECORDS (2015-)
Alice Nine was formed in April of 2004 by Nao (ex-RusH, Fatima) as a session band called alice nine. (アリス九). The line-up was Shou (ex-Givuss) on vocals, Hiroto (ex-BAQUEPIA) on guitar, Tora (ex-Givuss) on guitar, Saga (ex-Delta Ark, Visage) on bass, and Nao on drums. They soon changed the writing of their name to アリス九號 and performed their first live on May 19th.
On June 5th the band released their debut single "Namae wa, Mada Nai.". This was self-released and published. It reached #157 on the major Oricon charts, where it charted for a week. Also in June Alice Nine had a coupling tour with Ayabie that spanned into August. It was titled "A2 ~Natsu Coupling Circuit~" and hit five stops. A second pressing of their debut single was released on August 11th. This press included a new song and reached #138 on the major charts where it also charted for a week.
Alice Nine changed the writing of their name to アリス九號. on August 24th. At the very start of September the band joined PS COMPANY, which at the time was an indies label along with being a production and management company. They had no activity until November where they had another coupling tour, this time with Karen. This nation-wide tour was called "Zenkoku Juudan Circuit Banshuu Junrei." and hit 11 stops. In the midst of the tour, on November 17th, Alice Nine released their debut mini-album Gion Shouja no Kane ga Naru. It reached #62 on the major Oricon charts, where it charted for two weeks.
2005 began with their first one-man live on January 21st. The concert was titled "-Bunmei Kaika- Kiteretsu Music Show" and was at LIQUID ROOM ebisu. It was also during this show that Alice Nine announced their plans for a three consecutive month single release campaign. All three of these singles would be in CD+DVD only formats and would feature their first PVs. The start of the campaign was with their second single "Gin no Tsuki Kuroi Hoshi" which was released on March 30th. This reached #45 on the major Oricon charts, where it charted for three weeks.
For five lives in April the band were the opening act for Kagrra,'s national tour. During the performances, on the 27th, they released the second part of the plan and their third single "Yami ni Chiru Sakura". It reached #54 on the major Oricon charts, where it charted for two weeks. The last of the three singles, their fourth single "Yuri wa Aoku Saite", was released on May 25th. This reached #51 on the major charts, where it charted for two weeks.
In June Alice Nine held another coupling tour with Ayabie. This tour was called "A2V2 ~Zenkoku Sugoroku Angya TOUR~" and hit seven stops. Along with Kra and bis they had a seven stop tour titled "TRIVAL ARAIVALL TOUR" in July. Near the end of that month, on the 27th, the band released their second mini-album ALICE IN WONDEЯ LAND. It reached #55 on the major Oricon charts, where it charted for two weeks.
To help support and promote the release of their second mini-album, Alice Nine had their first national one-man concert tour in August. It was called "ALICE IN WONDEЯ TOUR" and hit six stops altogether. The tour's finale, which was titled "ALICE IN WONDEЯ FESTIVAL", was played August 31st at Shibuya-AX. It was also their first filmed live for a DVD release, the DVD was released on January 12th 2006 as ALICE IN WONDEЯ FILM. This reached #55 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for two weeks.
During the summer tour the band signed with major label KING RECORDS on their PS MUSIC subsidary, where Kra and the GazettE are signed. Alice Nine's first release as a major band was their third mini-album Kasou Musou Shi on November 23rd. The mini-album is a compilation of all songs released on their three consecutive month single release campaign along with one new song. It reached #47 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for four weeks. The second presses of their two previous mini-albums were also released on November 23rd. Finishing off the month was the release of the third press of their debut single on the 30th.
Concluding 2005 was the band's participation in the six date "Peace & Smile Carnival Tour 2005" tour in December. The massive tour was planned by PS COMPANY and featured all the artists signed to the company at that time. The finale was filmed and released a full three years later on December 24th, 2008 as Peace & Smile Carnival Tour 2005 Mina Sorotte Egao de Fuck You.. This reached #83 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for four weeks. Alice Nine opened their official fan club club ALICE on December 25th, 2005.
The new year started off with the beginning of another single release campaign. The release of their fifth single "Kowloon -NINE HEADS RODEO SHOW-" started a two consecutive month single campaign. Their first major single managed to reach #22 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for six weeks.
The last part of the latest campaign and their sixth single "FANTASY" was released on February 22nd. This single charted slightly higher than the last, reaching #20 on the Oricon charts where it also charted for six weeks. Another single was released on February 22nd, their seventh single "Akatsuki / Ikuoku no Chandelier".
Alice Nine's seventh single was a special release for them; it was their first double A-side single and each song was used as a theme song (opening and ending respectively) for the anime Gin'yuu Mokushiroku Meine Liebe wieder. None of the songs were placed on their debut album, which was set to be released two months later. It reached #24 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for five weeks.
In March they held their first fan club tour. It was a three date one-man concert tour and was called "Kachou Fuugetsu Vol.1". On April 26th the band released their debut album Zekkeishoku. This reached #13 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for six weeks. A band score for Zekkeishoku was released two years later on March 27th, 2008.
Alice Nine's second one-man concert tour, titled "Kimi no Hitomi Utsuru wa Zekkeishoku", was performed all in May. It was meant to support and promote the release of their debut album. The tour hit 10 stops altogether and its finale was played on May 31st at Zepp Tokyo. Their next tour was another one-man concert tour, this timed called "HELLO,NEW SUPER VIEW". This tour started in August and spanned into September, altogether hitting 15 stops.
Before the "HELLO,NEW SUPER VIEW" tour finale they released their first DVD single "NUMBER SIX." on October 4th. It reached #10 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for six weeks. Alice Nine had also released their first digital single "Blue Planet" on October 4th. The aforementioned tours' finale, titled "HELLO,DEAR NUMBERS", was played on October 6th at Shibuya Koukaidou. The live was their second concert filmed for a DVD release, it was later released on January 24th 2007 as 2006.10.6-fri- Shibuya Koukaidou HELLO,DEAR NUMBERS. This reached #30 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for three weeks. 2006 ended with a one-man concert live on Akasaka BLITZ on December 19th.
2007 began with the release of their eighth single "JEWELS" on March 21st. It reached #15 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for seven weeks. Also during March and going into April was their spring tour. This was called "BLACK JEWEL & WHITE ROSE" and hit 11 stops. The tour finale, "birth in black jewel", was performed at Hibiya Yagai Daiongakudou on April 21st.
An addition performance of the previous tours' finale was titled "birth in white rose". It was held at NHK Hall on April 28th. It was also on this date that Alice Nine released their first photobook DIVE INTO THE SUN. The book came with a CD which was a new song, "Gekkouyoku". On May 25th the band, along with many other visual-kei and oshare-kei bands, collectively played at the "JRock Revolution" festival in Los Angeles, California, USA. This was Alice Nine's first overseas performance.
On June 6th the band released their ninth single "WHITE PRAYER". The titular song was used as an ending theme song for the NTV anime Itadaki Muscle!. This reached #12 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for six weeks. Starting in July and going over into September was their summer one-man concert tour. It was called "ROYAL STRAIGHT FLASH" and hit 12 stops altogether. "ROYAL STRAIGHT KINGDOM", the tours' finale was performed on September 3rd at Tokyo Kokusai Forum Hall A. Going back into July, Alice Nine had their second fan club tour "Kachou Fuugetsu Vol.2", which hit six stops.
The band's 10th single, "TSUBASA.", was released on October 24th. It was another special release for them as it's their first to be released in three types, and to include two PVs. The titular song wasn't placed on their second album, which was set to be released a month later. The single reached #6 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for six weeks. This is also one of three of their highest Oricon charting singles.
Alpha, their second album, was released on November 28th. The album included both their first DVD single "NUMBER SIX." and a re-recording of their first digital single "Blue Planet". A PV for "Blue Planet" was also made, and was released on the limited edition of the album. It reached #9 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for eight weeks. This is Alice Nine's longest charting album. A band score for Alpha was released three months later on February 29th, 2008. 2007 concluded with the release of their second photobook SHINY SUMMER X'MAS 2007 on December 25th.
2009 started off with their national one-man concert live tour in January and February. It was titled "A to U" and hit 14 stops. In the early days of the tour the members' announced that Tora was diagnosed with a spinal disc hernia, which has worsened to the point of numbness on the left side of his body. The tour was postponed until Tora healed enough to resume in the band, and the lives were re-scheduled. With Tora being well enough to peform again, the "A to U" tour finale was held on February 9th at Shinkiba STUDIO COAST. A special live called "STROBO LIGHTS ~alice nine. Premium live show~" was played on February 14th at C.C.Lemon Hall.
Alice Nine released their 11th single "MIRROR BALL" on March 26th. The titular song was used as the theme song for the movie Aquarian Age. This reached #6 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for six weeks. On July 2nd, two simultaneous PV DVDs were released. alice in pictures I chronicled the PVs from "Gin no Tsuki Kuroi Hoshi" to "NUMBER SIX.", while alice in pictures II chronicled the PVs from "JEWELS" to "Gekkouyoku". The first DVD reached #15 on the Oricon charts and the second one reached #17 on the same charts. Both DVDs each charted for three weeks.
During the rest of July Alice Nine held their 10 stop "-ALICE IN NIPPON RETTO-" fan club only tour. "RAINBOWS", the band's 12th single was released on August 6th. It reached #6 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for seven weeks. This is the single with the higest debut on the Oricon charts. A few days later, the 8th, was the starting date of their summer one-man concert tour "DISCOTHEQUE play like “A” RAINBOWS". It altogether hit eight stops.
The tour's finale was played in two parts over two days. The first final, which was titled "[R]ainvolution-enter-", was on August 30th at Nakano Sun Plaza. The last final was called ""[R]ainvolution-exit-", it was the next day and was also at Nakano Sun Plaza. Both of the finals were filmed and released later on October 29th as DISCOTHEQUE play like "A" RAINBOWS -enter & exit-. This reached #7 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for three weeks.
Alice Nine's 13th single "CROSS GAME" was released on December 10th. The titular song was used as an ending theme song for the TV anime YU-GI-OH! 5D's. It reached #8 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for seven weeks. Similar to the time around their previous album release, "CROSS GAME" was released a month before their third album. Unlike the situation the song was included on the album.
2009 kicked off with the PS COMPANY's 10th year anniversary commemoration performance "Peace & Smile Carnival" on January 3rd at Nippon Budoukan. The concert was filmed and released later on April 15th as PS COMPANY The 10th anniversary commemorative performance Peace & Smile Carnival. This reached #7 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for four weeks. The release of their third album VANDALZE was on January 14th. It reached #7 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for five weeks. A band score for VANDALIZE was released six months later on July 7th.
To help support and promote the release of their third album, Alice Nine held their first tour of the year. It was titled "UNTITLED VANDAL(ism)#1" and hit 20 stops. Inbetween this and the second leg the band participated in the "BENT BEAT SPECIAL '09" events at Zepp Tokyo on May 15th and 16th. For media reasons, on June 1st Alice Nine changed the romanization and the spelling of their name from アリス九號. (alice nine.) to Alice Nine. The aforementioned second leg of the tour, called "UNTITLED VANDAL(ism)#2", was during all of July and hit five stops altogether.
On August 5th their 14th single "Hana [hæ・nǝ]" was released. It is their first release to feature the new spelling. This reached #8 on the Oricon charts, where it charted for four weeks. Preceding the "UNTITLED VANDAL(ism)" tours' final, the band participated in the "FOOL'S FEST 09 ~midsummer dream~" event at Shinkiba STUDIO COAST on August 16th, and played the "ALICE IN MUSUEM" lives on August 22nd~24th at Harajuku b6 Studio.
"UNTITLED VANDAL(ism)#FINAL "Graced The Beautiful Day"" was held at Tokyo Kokuritsu Forum Hall A on August 23rd. This was the fourth concert of theirs to be filmed for a later DVD release, it was later released on November 11th as UNTITLED VANDAL(ism)#Finale "Graced The Beautiful Day". August 24th was a special date for Alice Nine, as it was the date for their fifth anniversary live "Brand New Horizon" at Akasaka BLITZ. It was also the release date for their fifth anniversary book Piece of 5ive elements "THE BOOK" -Alice Nine 5th-. The book includes interviews and photos to commemorate their five years together.
On September 9th the band, with MUCC and 9GOATS BLACK OUT, took part in the "BUZZ MANIAX" event presented by FM OSAKA"BUZZ ROCK" at Nanba Hatch. Alice Nine then participated in the huge "V-ROCK FESTIVAL '09" event at Makuhari Messe Kokusai Tenjijou 9・10・11 Halls on the October 24th. A month later, on November 22nd, they played in the "TOKYO VISUAL FESTIVAL +1" event at Shibuya C.C.Lemon Hall. The year's end was met with the "WHITE PERIOD II" lives on December 3rd at Nanba Hatch and on December 16th at Shinkiba STUDIO COAST.
- [2006.04.26] Zekkeishoku (絶景色; Picturesque Scenery)
- [2007.11.28] Alpha
- [2009.01.14] VANDALIZE
- [2011.02.09] GEMINI
- [2012.02.22] "9"
- [2014.03.19] Supernova
- [2010.03.24] Alice Nine Complete Collection 2006-2009
- [2013.08.21] Alice Nine Complete Collection II 2010-2012
- [2004.11.17] Gion Shouja no Kane ga Naru (祇園盛者の鐘が鳴る; The Gion Shouja Bells Toll)
- [2005.07.27] ALICE IN WONDEЯ LAND
- [2005.11.23] Kasou Musou Shi (華想夢想紙; Flowery Imagination Dreaming Paper)
- [2015.08.23] Ginga no Woto (銀河ノヲト)
- [2016.04.13] LIGHT AND DARKNESS
- [2004.07.05] "Namae wa, Mada Nai." (「名前は、未だ無ひ。」; "I Don't Yet Have a Name")
- [2005.03.30] Gin no Tsuki Kuroi Hoshi (銀の月 黒い星; Silver Moon, Black Stars)
- [2005.04.27] Yami ni Chiru Sakura (闇ニ散ル桜; Cherry Blossoms Falling Into the Darkness)
- [2005.05.25] Yuri wa Aoku Saite (百合は蒼く咲いて; The Lillies Bloom Blue)
- [2006.01.25] Kowloon -NINE HEADS RODEO SHOW- (九龍)
- [2006.02.22] FANTASY
- [2006.02.22] Akatsuki / Ikuoku no Chandelier (暁 / 幾億のシャンデリア; Dawn / Many Million Chandeliers)
- [2007.03.21] JEWELS
- [2007.06.06] WHITE PRAYER
- [2007.10.24] TSUBASA.
- [2008.03.26] MIRROR BALL
- [2008.08.06] RAINBOWS
- [2008.12.10] CROSS GAME
- [2009.08.05] Hana [hæ・nǝ] (華; Flowers)
- [2010.08.25] Senkou (閃光; A Flash of Light)
- [2010.11.10] Stargazer:
- [2011.06.08] BLUE FLAME
- [2011.09.07] Heart of Gold
- [2011.12.21] Niji no Yuki (虹の雪; Rainbow Snow)
- [2013.03.20] Daybreak
- [2013.04.17] SHADOWPLAY
- [2013.05.29] shooting star
- [2014.02.26] SHINING
- [2015.08.23] Phoeni6
- [2013.12.06] Alice Nine 9th Anniversary MUSIC CARD
- [2006.01.12] ALICE IN WONDEЯ FILM
- [2006.10.04] NUMBER SIX.
- [2007.01.24] 2006.10.6-fri- Shibuya Koukaidou HELLO,DEAR NUMBERS (渋谷公会堂)
- [2008.07.02] alice in pictures I
- [2008.07.02] alice in pictures II
- [2008.10.29] DISCOTHEQUE play like "A" RAINBOWS -enter & exit-
- [2009.11.11] UNTITLED VANDAL(ism)#Finale "Graced The Beautiful Day"
- [2011.05.02] TOKYO GALAXY Alice Nine Live Tour 10 "FLASH LIGHT from the past" FINAL at Nippon Budokan
- [2012.06.06] alice in pictures III
- [2013.06.19] Alice Nine Live 2012 Court of "9"#4 Grand Finale COUNTDOWN LIVE 12.31
- [2013.12.11] Alice Nine 9th Anniversary
- [2014.10.29] Resolution -ALICE IN ASIA-
Other Video Releases
- [2005.xx.xx] Peace & Smile Carnival Tour 2005 Mina Sorotte Egao de Fuck You. (皆そろって笑顔でファッキュー) (#4 "Shunkashuutou", #5 "Gokusai Gokushoku Gokudouka <G3>", #6 "Heisei Juunananen Shichigatsu Nanoka")
- [2008.04.01] Visual-kei DVD magazine Vol.1 (#20 "Velvet")
- [2008.12.24] Peace & Smile Carnival Tour 2005 Mina Sorotte Egao de Fuck You. (皆そろって笑顔でファッキュー) (#4 "Shunkashuutou", #5 "Gokusai Gokushoku Gokudouka <G3>", #6 "Heisei Juunananen Shichigatsu Nanoka") (reissue)
- [2009.04.15] PS COMPANY The 10th anniversary commemorative performance Peace & Smile Carnival (#10 "Velvet", #11 "RAINBOWS", #12 "Blue Planet")
- [2009.12.01] NINJAMAN-JAPAN Kinkyuu Shirei! Biju wo Sukue! no Maki (ニンジャマンジャパン緊急指令! Bijuを救え!の巻)
Compilations / Other
- [2006.04.21] Gin'yuu Mokushiroku Meine Liebe wieder Original Sound Track (吟遊黙示録マイネリーベwieder) (#1 "Akatsuki", #43 "Ikuoku no Chandelier")
- [2007.02.23] Gin'yuu Mokushiroku Meine Liebe wieder Vocal Best Collection (吟遊黙示録マイネリーベwieder) (#1 "Akatsuki", #14 "Ikuoku no Chandelier")
- [2009.12.23] YU-GI-OH! Series DUEL VOCAL BEST 2 (遊☆戯☆王) (#12 "CROSS GAME")
- [2009.12.23] YU-GI-OH! 5D's SOUND DUEL 02 (遊☆戯☆王) (CD1 #33 "CROSS GAME (TV Size)")
- [2007.04.28] DIVE INTO THE SUN
- [2007.12.25] SHINY SUMMER X'MAS 2007
- [2008.02.29] Alpha BAND SCORE
- [2008.03.27] Zekkeishoku BAND SCORE (絶景色)
- [2008.09.13] alice nine. first piano collection
- [2009.07.07] VANDALIZE BAND SCORE
- [2009.08.24] Piece of 5ive elements "THE BOOK" -Alice Nine 5th-
- [2005.12.xx] Zy.[zi:] No.26 (Feature)
- [2008.07.xx] Zy.[zi:] No.41 (Feature)
- [2009.12.xx] Arena 37 Degree 2010 January Issue (Feature)
- [2010.01.xx] ARENA 37 Degree Special 2010 March Issue (Feature)
- [2010.10.xx] FOOL'S MATE December Issue (Feature)
- [2011.08.xx] SHOXX October 2011 Issue (Feature)
- [2011.08.xx] Rock Star Vol.15 (Feature)
- [2011.09.xx] Peace & Smile Carnival 2011 SHIBUYA 7DAYS Live at C.C.LEMON HALL (Feature)
- [2011.09.xx] BACKSTAGE PASS 2011 November (Feature)
- [2011.10.xx] ARENA37 Degree November 2011 Issue (Feature)
- [2011.10.xx] SHOXX December 2011 Issue (Feature)
Cinema / Televison
- [2008.07.18] Aquarian Age
- Official Website
- Universal Music Official Profile
- Official Facebook
- Official Twitter
- Official Youtube
- Official Google+