Rebuild of Evangelion
Rebuild of Evangelion (Japanese: Evangelion Shin Gekijouban (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版; Evangelion New Theatrical Version) is a tetralogy anime movie series produced by Studio Khara and Gainax. The series is a theatrical remake of the legendary anime TV series Shin Seiki Evangelion which is known as the most popular anime series of all time.
Rebuild of Evangelion was first announced on the October edition of Newtype magazine. The three first movies will be based on the TV series with slight editions while the fourth film will feature a new ending different from the original TV series and Shin Seiki Evangelion Gekijouban Shi to Shinsei movie in 1998.
The first movie started like the TV series when Ikari Shinji was summoned to NERV by his father who is the head of the organization. When he arrived at Neo Tokyo-3, Ikari was dragged into the fight with the fourth angel, Sachiel. He was rescued by a NERV officer, Katsuragi Misato and was brought to their underground headquarter. Here, his father reveals that he was applied as the pilot of EVA Unit-01. The movie ended at the sixth episode of the TV series when Ikari agrees to stay at NERV and Kaworu Nagisa rides an EVA from the Moon to Earth.
The second movie follows the events of the battle of the sea which introduces the second children, Shikinami Langley Asuka.
Editions from the original series
Almost scenes and plots of the movie are faithful to the TV series but it also features editions to prepare for a new ending. First of all, the angels order was changed, at the battle of Tokyo-3 in beginning of the first movie, Sachiel is the fourth angle instead of third. In addition, the whole ocean's water color is turned into red. In the original series, only the sea at Antarctica is red because of The Second Impact. The last child, Kaworu Nagisa who only appeared by the end of the TV series also made a debut in the first movie by riding his EVA from the Moon to Earth.
In the second movie, Asuka name is changed to Soryu Asuka Langley (惣流・アスカ・ラングレー) to Shikinami Asuka Langley (式波・アスカ・ラングレー). It also features a new childn which did not appear in the TV series, Makinami Mari Illustrious who pilots EVA Unit 05.
- Chief Director: Anno Hideaki
- Directors: Tsurumaki Kazuya, Masayuki
- Producer: Otsuki Toshimichi
- Original creator: Anno Hideaki
- Character Design: Sadamoto Yoshiyuki
- Cinematographer: Fukushi Susumu
- Editor: Okuda Hirofumi
- Music: Sagisu Shiro
- Theme songs performance: Utada Hikaru
- Animation Cooperation: Gainax
- Animation Production: Studio Khara
- Ikari Shinji (碇シンジ) - Ogata Megumi
- Ayanami Rei (綾波レイ) - Hayashibara Megumi
- Shikinami Asuka Langley (式波・アスカ・ラングレー) - Miyamura Yuko
- Makinami Mari Illustrious (真希波・マリ・イラストリアス) - Sakamoto Maaya
- Nagisa Kaworu (渚カヲル) - Ishida Akira
- Suzuhara Toji (鈴原トウジ) - Tomokazu Seki
- Katsuragi Misato (葛城ミサト) - Mitsuishi Kotono
- Ikari Gendo (碇ゲンドウ) - Tachiki Fumihiko
- Akagi Ritsuko (赤木リツコ) - Yamaguchi Yuriko
- Kaji Ryoji (加持リョウジ) - Yamadera Kouichi
- Fuyutsuki Kozo (冬月コウゾウ) - Kiyokawa Motomu
- Ibuki Maaya (伊吹マヤ) - Nagasawa Miki
- Shigeru Aoba (青葉シゲル) - Koyasu Takehito
- Hyuga Makoto (日向マコト) - Yuuki Hiro
Ikari Shinji's Classmates
- Ikari Yui (碇ユイ) - Hayashibara Megumi
- Pen Pen (ペンペン) - Hayashibara Megumi
- Keel Lorentz (キール・ローレンツ) - Mugihito
|English Title||Japanese Title|| Theatrical|
|Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone||Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序; Evangelion New Theatrical Version: Beginning)||2007.09.01|
|Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance||Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Ha (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:破; Evangelion New Theatrical Version: Division)||2009.06.27|
|Evangelion: 3.0||Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Q quickening (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:Q quickening)|
Blu-Ray / DVD
- [2008.04.25] Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo (Limited Edition) (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 特装版)
- [2008.05.21] Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo (Regular Edition) (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 通常版)
- [2009.05.27] Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo (EVANGELION:1.11) (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序(EVANGELION:1.11))
- [2010.05.26] Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Ha EVANGELION:2.22 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE. (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版：破 EVANGELION:2.22 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE.)
The music of Rebuild of Evangelion is produced by KING RECORDS. The soundtrack is composed by Sagisu Shiro and theme song performances is by popular Japanese pop singer Utada Hikaru who chief director Anno Hideaki is a fan of. A single for "Beautiful World" was released on August 29th, 2007 while "Beautiful World -PLANiTb Acoustica Mix-" was released digitally on the same day with the second movie, June 27th, 2009.
Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
- [2007.09.26] Shiro SAGISU Music from "EVANGELION:1.0 YOU ARE (NOT) ALONE"
- [2008.05.21] Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo Original Soundtrack (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:序 オリジナルサウンドトラック)
- [2009.07.08] Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Ha Original Soundtrack (ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:破 オリジナルサウンドトラック)
- Rebuild of Evangelion Website
- Wikipedia: Rebuild of Evangelion
- Wikipedia: Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
- Wikipedia: Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance