GOOD MORNING AMERICA
- 1 Members
- 2 Information
- 3 Discography
- 4 External Links
- Kanehiro Shingo (Vocal, Guitar)
- Watanabe Koichi (Guitar, Chorus)
- Tanashin (Bass, Chorus)
- Pegi (Drums, Chorus)
- Noguchi Shinsuke (Drums)
Beginning "for better, for worse"
In 2001, high school classmates, bassist Tanaka Shinjirou (currently known as Tanashin) and guitarist Watanabe Koichi, formed the band "for better, for worse" in Hachiouji. Later on, they recruited vocalist and guitarist Kanehiro Shingo and drummer Noguchi Shinsuke and began playing local shows. At the time, they had an emo/melodic punk sound, with mainly English lyrics.
In the years that followed, the band took part in many compilations, but released very little under their own name. Their first mini-album heartstrings came out in 2004, and the band released a split mini-album called When The 8th Spring Has Come... with their close friends TOTALFAT the next year.
Hiatus, Name Change & Return
Unfortunately, after six years the band still did not have a large fan base and announced that they would be going on hiatus. During their hiatus, they decided to change their name to GOOD MORNING AMERICA and create songs in Japanese instead of English. They returned from their hiatus in July 2007, and their first demo was revealed that November.
In 2008, member Noguchi decided to leave the band and was replaced by new drummer Pegi the same month.
The next few years saw the band release a string of demos and participate in a number of compilations, including releasing their own compliation, Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu., in 2010, and each consecutive year thereafter, featuring different bands from the indie rock scene. Their first mini-album Sora Bakari Mite Ita was released that same year and promoted with a nationwide tour, which ended with a sold out show at Shibuya O-Crest in February 2011.
Popularity & Transformation
With their rising popularity, member Tanaka Shinjirou transformed himself, dying his hair and wearing sunglasses and tight shorts, and changed his stage name to Tanashin. His extroverted, comedian-like personality has helped distinguish the band and also landed him his own radio show.
The band showed off a cooler image with their next mini-album, Wallpaper Music ja Odoritaku Nai ze, The final show of their tour, which was also their first one-man live, took place at Daikanyama UNIT and was later documented with a DVD. The band closed the year with a performance at COUNTDOWN JAPAN 11/12.
In 2012, GOOD MORNING AMERICA organized a festival called "Aa, yoi Live koko ni arimasu. 2012" at Shibuya O-EAST. Their next mini-album Kagayaku Hou e was followed by a number of other festival appearances. The band’s first one-man tour "Hanamuke no uta Tour" was held in December, and all five dates sold out.
Major Label Debut
In 2013 they signed a deal with the major label Nippon Columbia. They made their major debut with the album Mirai e no Spiral on May 8th and spent the summer playing at some of the biggest rock festivals in the country, including the Rock in Japan Festival, Rush Ball and Summer Sonic.
In 2014 they were chosen to provide the ending theme for the Majin Buu arc of the anime series Dragonball Kai.
- [2013.05.08] Mirai e no Spiral (未来へのスパイラル; Spiral to the Future)
- [2014.10.22] in Tokyo City (inトーキョーシティ)
- [2015.10.28] GOOD MORNING AMERICA (グッドモーニングアメリカ)
- [2016.12.14] Namari Sora no Stargazer (鉛空のスターゲイザー; Lead Sky Stargazer)
- [2017.10.04] 502 Goushitsu no Sirius (502号室のシリウス)
- [2018.11.14] !!!!YEAH!!!!
- [2018.07.11] the BEST HIT GMA
- [2010.08.17] Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu. (あっ、良い音楽ここにあります。)
- [2011.12.07] Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu. Sono Ni (あっ、良い音楽ここにあります。その弐)
- [2013.03.20] Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu. Sono San (あっ、良い音楽ここにあります。その参)
- [2014.08.20] Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu. Sono Shi (あっ、良い音楽ここにあります。その四)
- [2016.06.22] Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu. Sono Go (あっ、良い音楽ここにあります。その伍)
- [2010.10.13] Sora Bakari Miteita (空ばかり見ていた) (Indies)
- [2011.07.20] Wallpaper Music ja Odoritaku Nai ze (ウォールペーパーミュージックじゃ踊りたくないぜ; No Dance to the Wallpaper Music) (Indies)
- [2012.05.09] Kagayaku Hou e (輝く方へ; To the Shining Person) (Indies)
- [2009.04.02] Hikoukigumo (ひこうき雲; Contrail)
- [2009.06.09] Suiheisen (水平線; Horizontal Line) (Indies)
- [2009.08.03] Chiheisen (地平線; Horizon) (Indies)
- [2011.05.03] Hikari to Natte / Todoitara Ii no ni (光となって / 届いたらいいのに) (Indies)
- [2012.10.17] Hanamuke no Uta (餞の詩; Poem of Farewell Gift) (Indies)
- [2013.02.21] Catch and Release (キャッチアンドリリース) (Indies)
- [2014.01.08] Ichi, Ni, San de Jump (イチ、ニッ、サンでジャンプ; One, Two, Three Jump In)
- [2014.05.06] Haikei, Zarathustra (拝啓、ツラツストラ; Dear Zarathustra)
- [2015.06.10] Kopipe (コピペ; Copy Paste)
- [2015.08.12] Hello Hello Hello (ハローハローハロー)
- [2016.10.12] No Fang (ノーファング)
- [2019.10.16] Full Throttle (フルスロットル)
- [2010.09.15] Kyoukai wo Koete (境界を越えて)
- [2013.04.17] Mirai e no Spiral (未来へのスパイラル)
- [2014.02.26] Kono Yo no Hate Made (この世の果てまで; Until the End of This World)
- [2014.04.06] Haikei, Zarathustra (TV Size) (拝啓、ツラツストラ(TVサイズ))
- [2015.07.05] Hello Hello Hello (TV Size) (ハローハローハロー(TVサイズ))
- [2017.04.21] Kanashimi Naki Sekai e (悲しみ無き世界へ; To the World Without Sorrow)
- [2012.10.17] Wallpaper Music ja Odoritaku Nai ze RELEASE TOUR FINAL~2011.10.10 DAIKANYAMA UNIT (ウォールペーパーミュージックじゃ踊りたくないぜ” RELEASE TOUR FINAL～2011.10.10 DAIKANYAMA UNIT)
- [2014.01.08] "Mirai e no Spiral Tour 2013" Final @ Shibuya O-EAST 2013.10.05 (「未来へのスパイラルツアー2013」ファイナル＠渋谷O-EAST 2013.10.05)
- [2015.06.10] "in Tokyo City" 2014-2015" Final @ Zepp Tokyo 2015.03.22 (「inトーキョーシティツアー2014-2015」ファイナル＠Zepp Tokyo 2015.03.22)
- [2016.04.04] Chousen ■Shichiya @ Nippon Budokan 2015.11.27 (挑戦 ■七夜@日本武道館 2015.11.27)
Compilations / Other
- [2009.12.23] Melodizm2 ("Todoitara Ii no ni")
- [2010.08.17] Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu (#1 "Sora Bakari Miteita")
- [2011.12.07] Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu. Sono ni (#1 "Karatsu Kaze ga Fukitsukeru")
- [2012.01.07] IMC KILLER TUNES (#5 "Wallpaper Music ja Odoritaku Nai ze")
- [2013.03.20] Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu. Sono San (#1 "Wasure Mono")
- [2013.03.27] TWO DAYS OFF (#11 "Kagayaku Hou e")
- [2014.02.26] ROCK AND SYMPATHY -tribute to the pillows- (#12 "Konoyo no Hate Made")
- [2014.06.25] ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION Presents Nano-Mugen Compilation 2014 (#3 "Mirai e no Spiral")
- [2014.08.20] Aa, Yoi Ongaku Koko ni Arimasu. Sono Shi (#1 "Call Up")
- [2015.02.04] THE BLUE HEARTS 30th ANNIVERSARY ALL TIME MEMORIALS ~SUPER SELECTED SONGS~ (Disc 3 #2 "Yuugure")