SDN48 (short for Saturday Night 48) was an "adult" idol girl group produced by Akimoto Yasushi. The group was announced as being part of an "adult only" show being performed every Saturday at 10 PM in AKB48's theater in Akihabara. However the initial idea of just performing on Saturday Nights seemed to have dropped and they performed throughout the week until their disbandment in March 2012. All members of this group were above the adult age of 20 and the group was affectionately referred to by AKB48 member as an "older sister" group. SDN48 shows were meant to be a more mature and sexier show than the typical AKB48 show and have an age limit of 18 or older .
SDN48 was first announced as a series of "adult only" shows in 2008. In 2009, the two oldest from AKB48's Team K Ohori Megumi, and Noro Kayo became the first members confirmed for the group. At the same time, auditions for the other members were held. When the lineup was announced 22 girls were chosen, 18 girls and 4 Under girls (equivalent to an AKB Kenkyuusei) including Sato Yukari from Team A and Urano Kazumi from Team B. However one girl dropped out and Umeda Haruka was promoted from Under girls (bringing the total to 21). The group debuted in its 1st Stage, Yuuwaku no Garter, on August 1, 2009 (a Thursday instead of a Saturday due to an event on August 3rd).
On September 22, 2009, Kohara Haruka transferred from AKB48's Team B to SDN48 as an Under girl. Two days later, Under girl Iwata Yuki withdrew from the group due to a medical condition. 1st Generation member Serina announced that she was actually born in 1985 rather than 1988 making her 24 instead of 21.
On December 1, 2009, Maeda Eiko (Harada Ourei) transferred from SKE48's Team KII to SDN as an Under girl. She would use her real name, Tezuka Machiko, rather than the two stage names she was previously known by.
On December 24, 2009 Nakazato Ayumi graduated from SDN48.
On May 15, 2010, the 2nd audition results were announced and 16 new members debuted as 2nd Generation, which included twin sisters, Akiko and Natsuko. The previous 4 Under girls (Jyuri Kaida, Nachu, Kohara Haruka, Tezuka Machiko) became full fledged members of the 1st Generation.
On June 09, 2010 an announcement was made to have a senbatsu popularity election. Fans could vote 3 ways: by voting on TV Asahi's mobile site for their favorite member, reading their favorite member's official gree.jp blog, or by downloading their favorite member's official profile picture on TV Asahi's mobile site.
During the their one year anniversary performance on August 1st 2010, the group announced their plans to debut on the major label Universal Music with the members selected in the senbatsu election. The top 12 of 27 members would be chosen to participate in their debut single to be released on November 24, 2010. The results of the senbatsu single selection aired on September 08, 2010 on the group's original tv show, Suppon no Onnatachi.
However, on September 30, 2010, senbatsu member Fukuyama Sakura announced her retirement from SDN48 via her blog due to deteriorating health. On October 4, 2010 it was announced that Chen Qu would replace her as the 12th senbatsu member for the group's first single. On October 16, 2010, Fukuyama Sakura graduated from SDN48 during a show at AKB48's theater.
On November 24, 2010, SDN48 released their debut single GAGAGA. The single reached #3 on the Oricon Weekly Singles Chart and became the #99 best selling single of 2010. 5 days later GAGAGA was released in Korea.
At the end of January 2011, Ito Kana was on hiatus due to poor health from influenza. However on February 10, 2011 she announced her withdrawal from the group. SDN48 released their second single on April 6, 2011 which was originally scheduled on March 23, 2011 but was later postponed due to the earthquake and tsunami that devastated Japan.
On May 12, 2011, Ninomiya Yuka announced her graduation from the group due to pursuing a career in theater instead. On May 29, 2011, the group lost another member when Tanisaki Tomomi announced her graduation through her blog.
On May 27, 2011 during the "Minogashita Kimitachi e" ~AKB48 Group Zenkouen~ Concert (Revival Concerts for all "48 Groups") for SDN 1st Stage "Yuuwaku no Garter", 7 Third Generation girls made their debut including ex-AKB48 first generation members Komatani Hitomi and Tojima Hana and rhythm zone artist miray. Two months after the announcement was made, third generation member Hayakawa Sayo abruptly withdrew from the group. Reports indicate that she only participated in SDN48's theater shows as a MC and failed to learn some of the choreography and songs of SDN48's stage.
In October 2011, it was announced by leader Noro Kayo that all members of SDN48 would graduate on March 31, 2012. The group released NEXT ENCORE, a best-of album, on March 14 and a studio recording CD and DVD for Yuuwaku no Garter on March 28. A farewell concert was held at AKB48's stage on March 31.
On April 19, 2012 it was announced that "Minogashita Kimitachi e 2 ~AKB48 Group Zenkouen~" (2nd revival stage concerts for all xxx48 groups) would take place including the graduated SDN48 group. They performed their only stage on 5-15-2011 with all members except: Serina, Akiko, Takahashi Yui, Natsuko, and miray. Their set list this time differs from the actual original stage. They included the 2 new songs by ChaMin and Akita along with several A and B side singles.
- Note: All of the members have graduated from SDN48 on Mar. 31, 2012 unless otherwise noted
- Iwata Yuki (岩田優希, Withdrew on September 24 2009)
- [2012.03.28] SDN48 1st Stage "Yuuwaku no Garter" (SDN48 1st Stage 「誘惑のガーター」)
- [2012.03.14] NEXT ENCORE
- [2010.11.24] GAGAGA
- [2011.04.06] Ai, Juseyo (愛、チュセヨ)
- [2011.08.17] MIN MIN MIN
- [2011.12.28] Kudokinagara Azabu Juuban duet with Mino Monta (口説きながら麻布十番 duet with みの もんた)
- [2012.03.07] Makeoshimi Congratulation (負け惜しみコングラチュレーション)
- [2012.03.28] SDN48 1st Stage "Yuuwaku no Garter" ((SDN48 1st Stage 「誘惑のガーター」)
Compilations / Other
- [2010.11.29] GAGAGA
- [2009.08.01 - 2012.03.28] SDN48 1st Stage "Yuuwaku no Garter" (SDN48 1st Stage 「誘惑のガーター」)
- [2010.05.10 - 2012.03.27] SDN48 1st Stage "Yuuwaku no Garter" (SDN48 1st Stage 「誘惑のガーター」)
- [2011.07.09 - 2012.03.27] SDN48 1st Stage "Yuuwaku no Garter" (SDN48 1st Stage 「誘惑のガーター」)
- Note: When 3rd Generation joined, they were added together with 2nd Generation performances. It was later known as 2nd + 3rd Generation stage.
- [2011.03.xx] AKB48 Yusatsu THE RED ALBUM (Feture)
- [2010.11.xx] Pocket SKE48 X SDN48 X French Kiss (Feature)
- [2010.08.xx] Gravia The Television Vol.17 (Feature)
- [2011.03.xx] Yan Yan Vol.19 (Feature)
- [2011.03.xx] Marrutto AKB48 Special with SKE48 & NMB48 & SDN48 (Feature)
- [2011.08.xx] Yan Yan Special Summer Idol 7 (Feature)
- [2011.08.11] Marutto AKB48 2 with SKE48 & NMB48 & SDN48 & HKT48 (Feature)
- [2011.09.xx] kyun! (Feature)
SDN48 Audition History
- Requirements: Women above the age of 20 (no age limit)
- 2009.05.31 - First examination - 600 people passed.
- 2009.06.07 - Second examination - 96 people passed.
- 2009.06.14 - Final examination - 27 people passed.
- Results: 18 Selected, 4 Under Girls (1 dropped out, 1 Under promoted).
- Trivia: Hosoda Miyuu (2nd Generation) participated in this audition.
- Requirements: Women above the age of 20 (no age limit)
- 2010.01.25 - 2nd Auditions announced
- 2010.XX.XX - First examination - 105 people passed.
- 2010.01.31 - Second examination - 27 people passed.
- 2010.02.07 - Final examination - 16 people passed.
- Results: 16 Selected.
- 2010.05.15 - 2nd Generation debuts with the same name of the 1st Stage.
- 2011.XX.XX - First examination.
- 2011.04.02 - Second examination.
- 2011.04.09 - Final examination - 7 people passed.
- Results: 7 selected, including former 1st generation AKB48 members Komatani Hitomi, Tojima Hana, and AVEX soloist miray.
- Trivia: Nakagawa Tomomi participated in this audition.