alan (阿兰, 阿蘭), born Alan Dawa Dolma, is an ethnically Tibetian Chinese vocalist born in July of 1987 in Kangding, Sichuan Province. She was discovered by avex trax during their Chinese auditions in 2006 and released her debut single "Ashita e no Sanka" on November 21st, 2007. On March 4th, 2009 she released her Japanese debut album Voice of EARTH, and on July 10th, 2009 she released her Chinese major debut album Xīn De Dōng Fāng.
- Birth Name: Alan Dawa Dolma (Tibetan: ཨ་ལན་ཟླ་བ་སྒྲོལ་མ་)
- Stage Name: alan
- Spelling: Simplified Chinese: 阿兰·达瓦卓玛, Traditional Chinese: 阿蘭·達瓦卓瑪, Pinyin: Ālán Dáwǎ Zhuōmǎ
- Birth Date: July 25th, 1987 (age 25)
- Birth Place: Kangding, Garzê, Sichuan, China
- Height: 160cm (5'3")
- Weight: 40kg (88.2 lbs)
- Blood Type: O
Alan Dawa Dolma was born in Kangding, Garzê Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China, on July 25th, 1987. Her father was a government officer and her mother was a singer. Growing up with her grandparents in nearby Danba (Rongtrag, a.k.a. Beauty Valley), she began learning to play the erhu (a two-stringed Chinese violin) at a young age, and in 1997 began to attend the Affiliated Middle & High School of the Sichuan Conservatory in Chengdu.
She was accepted to the PLA Art Academy in Beijing in 2003 and double majored in vocal music and erhu, and subsequently joined the "Feel Fine Band," a group of young female performers of traditional Chinese instruments. In 2005, she released her Chinese indies debut album, Shēng Shēng Zuì Rú Lán, and represented China at the 9th Asia New Singer Competition, where she won second place. avex trax held auditions in China in 2006, and in the April of that year alan was selected from 40,000 contestants.
2007: Major debut
She then moved to Tokyo in September of 2007, and, taking on the stage name alan, she released "Ashita e no Sanka" on November 21st, 2007. A digital single was released on May 20th, 2008 to support victims of the Sichuan Earthquake, and her last single of the Voice of EARTH era, "Gunjou no Tani", was dedicated to those victims. In July 2008, the single "Natsukashii Mirai ~longing future~" was selected as the theme song for NHK's Save the Future TV program. This was also the first in five consecutive monthly singles which represented the five elements of Godai or Tibetan Bön, the latter representing Earth. "Sora Uta", represents Aether, "Kaze no Tegami" - Wind, "RED CLIFF ~Shin.Sen~" - Fire, and "Megumi no Ame" - Water.
alan was chosen to sing the theme songs for the two-part Chinese epic movie RED CLIFF. The songs were released in both Chinese and Japanese. "RED CLIFF ~Shin.Sen~" was released on October 15, 2008, as part of the five singles representing the five elements, and the second song, "Kuon no Kawa", was released on April 8th, 2009 after a month of the release of her major debut album Voice of EARTH. She performed "Xīn·Zhàn ~RED CLIFF~" at the Cannes Festival in May of 2008.
"Kuon no Kawa" reached #1 on the Oricon Daily Charts and #3 on the Oricon Weekly Charts. Originally this single debuted at #9 on the weekly charts, but eventually reached #1 on the sixth day making it her first song to chart in the top 10 as well as making it her first single to top the daily charts. Her 10th single "BALLAD ~Namonaki Koi no Uta~" which was released on September 2nd, 2009 was actually planned for a summer release. "BALLAD ~Namonaki Koi no Uta~" was a tie-up theme song for the movie of same title, BALLAD ~Namonaki Koi no Uta~. Soon after the release of her 10th single, her 11th single "Swear" was announced to be released on November 4th, 2009 as well as her second album my life. The album was released on November 25th, 2009, eight months after the release of her debut album Voice of EARTH.
2010: First and Second Concert
alan held her very first concert "voice of you" on January 24th, 2010. In her concert, she sang "Diamond" from her first upcoming double A-side single "Diamond / Over the clouds". Her first concert DVD alan 1st concert -voice of you- in TOKYO 2010.01.24 was released on March 24th, 2010. In April 2010, her 13th single "Kaze ni Mukau Hana" was announced to be released on July 7th. The titular song is a tie-up theme song for the movie Hisshiken Torisashi which is planned to be released on July 10th. Her second concert was held on July 16th and featured three concerts with the participation of a symphony orchestra in Osaka and Tokyo. She also started to use Twitter to communicate directly with fans. In October her 14th single, "Kanashimi wa Yuki ni Nemuru" was released. The track was chosen as the theme song for the film Sakurada Mongai no Hen and the B-side "Namonaki Tane" was the theme song of TAMALA2010, an animated film shown in the Convention on Biological Diversity's COP10 that year.
2011: JAPAN PREMIUM BEST & MORE & Return to China
In 2011, working with the tenor Fukui Kei, she released her first collaboration single. Ai wa Chikara was choosen as the theme song of the drama Sengoku Shippuden Futari no Gunshi aired by TV Tokyo. Shortly after it her first Best album was announced. "JAPAN PREMIUM BEST & MORE" was released on March 3rd containing all her japanese singles before released plus a mini-album containing four new songs and two collaborations songs before released. In June "Minna de ne ~PANDA with Candy BEAR's~ / "Ikiru"" was released as her 15th single and second Double A-Side release. "Minna de ne ~PANDA with Candy BEAR's~" was used as the theme for the characters "Candy BEAR's" which was created to promote two giant pandas arrived at Ueno Zoo.
In July 31th during her 3rd concert "alan JAPAN PREMIUM BEST & MORE LIVE 2011" held at Showa Women's University Hitomi Memorial Hall in Tokyo, alan announced that she would focus her activities in China. But assured the Japanese fans that would continue promotions in Japan and would not give up this part of her career. The DVD of the concert was released on 21th December of the same year.
In October was announced that Avex china had bankrupt and then alan has signed a contract with Yuehua Music. Her first single under the new label was "Wǒ Huíláile" released as a digital single in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong on November 22th and was composed by JJ Lin.
2012: Love Songs
In June 2012 after almost a year of preparation her first Chinese album under the new label was released. "Love Song" includes 12 new songs produced by famous producers such as Anson Hu and Yuan Weiren and a Japanese version of the title song of the album. On September 21th alan acted as a protagonist in the musical "Crystal Goddess" held at the Bird's Nest Stadium in Beijing.
2013: New works in Japan & New Chinese Album
In 2013 after a year focused on her activities in China alan announced by twitter that she would release a new song in Japanese this year. Shortly two new songs was announced "DREAM EXPRESS ~Mugen Kukan Cho Tokkyu~" and "Ima Hito tabi no Shura". The first was chosen as the opening theme song for the anime Train Heroes aired by TV Tokyo and the second was chosen as the theme of a play of the same name.
In March 2013 her 7th Chinese digital single was released. Home was written and composed by alan and was chosen as the theme for the drama "Dì Èrshí'èr Tiáo Hūn Guī". In April her new chinese album was announced for a summer release.
- [2005.08.15] Shēngshēng Zuì Rúlán (声声醉如兰; Entranced With the Voice of Alan) (indies)
- [2006.07.17] Yùjiàn Ālán (遇见阿兰; Meeting Alan) (Repackage Album) (indies)
- [2009.07.10] Xīn De Dōngfāng (心的东方 / 心的東方; East of the Heart)
- [2010.05.06] Ālán Qínggē (阿兰情歌) (Repackage Album)
- [2011.04.29] Dawa Zhoima (Repackage Album)
- [2012.06.18] Love Song
- [2010.04.17] Lán Sè ~Love Moon Light~ (兰色 / 蘭色; Orchid)
- [2008.06.11] Xīn·Zhàn ~RED CLIFF~ (心•战; Heart, War)
- [2008.05.20] Aì Jiùshì Shoǔ (愛就是手; Love is Our Hands)
- [2008.10.29] Jiāyoú! Nǐ Yoǔ ME! (feat. Wei Chen) (加油! 你有ME! (宣传单曲); Go! You Have ME!)
- [2009.01.01] Chìbì ~Dà Jiāngdōng Qù~ (赤壁 ～大江東去～; Red Cliff ~Great River Gone East~)
- [2011.01.10] Hūhuàn (呼唤; The Call)
- [2011.02.24] Yīnghuā De Yǎnlèi (樱花的眼泪 / 櫻花的眼淚; Tears of Cherry Blossoms)
- [2011.11.22] Wǒ Huíláile (我回来了; I'm Back)
- [2012.05.23] Fènghuáng (凤凰 / 鳳凰; Phoenix)
- [2012.06.01] Love Song
- [2012.06.11] BABY BABY
- [2012.06.14] lan lan
- [2013.03.26] Home
- [2013.08.26] Tiān Dì Wèn Jiàn (天地问剑 / 天地問劍; Sword Between Heaven and Earth)
- [2013.11.22] Huí Wàng (回望)
- [2014.02.12] Sùmìng Héngzhe Xiě (宿命橫著寫; Writing Fate Sideways)
Compilations / Collaborations
- [2013.05.03] Tiānxià yījiā (天下一家; We Are the World) (#14 Kāngdìng qíngyuán; 康定情缘; The Love Song of Kangding)
- [2011.03.02] JAPAN PREMIUM BEST & MORE
- [2007.11.21] Ashita e no Sanka (明日ヘの讃歌; A Hymn For Tomorrow)
- [2008.03.05] Hitotsu (ひとつ; One)
- [2008.07.02] Natsukashii Mirai ~longing future~ (懐かしい未来; Longing Future)
- [2008.08.16] Sora Uta (空唄; Sky Song)
- [2008.09.10] Kaze no Tegami (風の手紙; Letter of the Wind)
- [2008.10.15] RED CLIFF ~Shin.Sen~ (心・戦; Heart, War)
- [2008.11.12] Megumi no Ame (恵みの雨; Rain's Blessing)
- [2009.02.04] Gunjou no Tani (群青の谷; Ultramarine Valley)
- [2009.04.08] Kuon no Kawa (久遠の河; River of Eternity)
- [2009.09.02] BALLAD ~Namonaki Koi no Uta~ (名もなき恋のうた; Nameless Love Song)
- [2009.11.04] Swear
- [2010.02.03] Diamond / Over the clouds
- [2010.07.07] Kaze ni Mukau Hana (風に向かう花; Flower Facing the Wind)
- [2010.10.13] Kanashimi wa Yuki ni Nemuru (悲しみは雪に眠る; Sadness Is Sleeping in the Snow)
- [2011.01.01] Ai wa Chikara (愛は力; Love Is Power) (alan × Fukui Kei)
- [2011.06.29] Minna de ne ~PANDA with Candy BEAR's~ / "Ikiru" (みんなでね; Like Everyone / 「生きる」; Living)
- [2013.08.21] DREAM EXPRESS ~Mugen Kukan Cho Tokkyu~ (夢現空間超特急, Super Express in the Space Between Dream and Reality)
- [2008.05.20] Shiawase no Kane (幸せの鐘; Bells of Happiness)
- [2009.01.05] Liberty
- [2010.01.12] Happy Birthday To You
- [2010.03.24] alan 1st concert -voice of you- in TOKYO 2010.01.24
- [2011.12.21] alan JAPAN PREMIUM BEST & MORE LIVE 2011
Other Video Releases
- [2008.11.26] a-nation '08 ~avex ALL CAST SPECIAL LIVE~ (#8 "RED CLIFF ~Shin.Sen~")
- [2012.03.14] amazing tunes -00’s MEGA HITS VISUAL MIX- (#18 "Kuon no Kawa")
Compilations / Other
- [2007.11.07] TOKYO PUDDING presents TOKYO SOUNDSCAPES (#3 "Jane Doe" by Itsco, Olivia Burrell, alan, YO!su-K & Makking)
- [2007.12.05] Rin' - Genji Nostalgie (#3 "Sennen no Niji" (Guest Vocal: alan))
- [2008.10.24] RED CLIFF Original Soundtrack Part I (#15 "RED CLIFF ~Shin・Sen~ (End Roll Version)")
- [2009.01.28] Disney Dream Pop ~Tribute to Tokyo Disney Resort 25th Anniversary~ (#5 "Yume wa Hisoka ni")
- [2009.04.08] RED CLIFF Original Soundtrack Complete Album (#16 "Kuon no Kawa (End Roll Version)")
- [2010.05.12] S'capade feat. alan - "Wasurenaide" (忘れないで)
- [2010.06.09] S'capade - S'CAPADE (#9 "Wasurenaide feat. alan")
- [2010.12.22] GOD EATER BURST Drama & Original Soundtrack (#1 "Over the clouds -BURST mix-", #10 "my life -farewell arrange-")
- Official Sites : Japanese | Chinese
- Official Blogs : Japanese | Chinese
- Official Twitter : Japanese | Chinese
- Official facebook : Japanese
- Oricon Profile
- Official MySpace
- 1ting profile