Caroline Lufkin is a US electronica singer-songwriter, who debuted in the US with the single Where's My Love under Temporary Residence. She was originally signed under this label because she sent a link to her song, Where's My Love, that she had uploaded at her MySpace account. Her songs sound very minimalistic, and her voice has a lot of purity and clarity to it. Caroline writes her own material, and has a voice not unlike that of Björk. She is the little sister of Olivia Lufkin and older sister to Jeffrey Lufkin.
Click here for information on individual Caroline songs (includes bio, song details and lyrics).
- Stage Name: Caroline
- Name: Caroline Lufkin
- Birthday: Janurary 9, 1981
- Blood Type: A
- Birthplace: Okinawa
- Siblings: OLIVIA, Jeff
- Current Residence: Los Angeles
- Favourite Artists (Music, Film, Art): Alva Noto, Blonde Redhead, Björk, Boards of Canada, Boom-bip, Brian Eno, Chris Cunningham, David Choe, Eluvium, Explosions in The Sky, Four Tet, Goldfrapp, Jeff Buckley, Kayne West, Lullatone, Manual, Michel Gondry, Missy Elliot, Múm, OutKast, Queen Adreena, Radiohead, Sakamoto Ryuichi, Sigur Rós and The Cure
- Favourite Movies: Amélie, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Royal Tenenbaums, Tarantino and Burton films
- Things Caroline Likes: Coffee, Waking up early and sleeping late, soccer, toys (esp. Japanese toys)
Caroline moved around a lot when she was younger since her father was formerly a Marine, though she is originally from Okinawa. She lived in North Carolina and California when she was younger. Originally, Caroline became interested in music by listening to classical music played by her parents every morning. Her parents surrounded her with all kinds of art, which also influenced this idea. She also was influenced by sing-along books and the children's movie/toy line Rose Petal Place.
She moved to Boston to study at the Berklee School of Music in 1999, and later graduated in 2003. After graduating, Caroline moved back to Tokyo and made a living by recording demo vocal tracks for many artists, as well as vocals for commercials. She was even offered a major label contact herself. After working on an album for months, Caroline was unhappy with the aspects that the record company wanted to change (for example, to make the songs extremely pop/dance sounding) and decided to quit altogether. She later decided to sign with US indies label Temporary Residence.
In the future, Caroline wishes to grow musically and someday wants to operate a Lounge (an artistic centre filled with aesthetic music, artwork, food and architecture), which she sees as the perfect world. Caroline also loves to spend hours and hours staring at artwork or architecture.
Caroline's first song, Where's My Love, was available to listen at her MySpace account in late 2004. During this time, she sent the song to the US indies record company Temporary Residence, and they accepted her as a new artist. Where's My Love was officially released as a single on 2005.10.25, however in fact was being distributed in the previous month.
Caroline released her debut album, Murmurs, on March 6, 2006, and soon after held her first live at the SxSW music festival in Austin, Texas. The festival ran from March 10-19, and featured 850 other artists (including Dir en grey, ELLEGARDEN and PE'Z). Caroline's live was held at 8:30 pm on March 17 at The Whiskey Bar.
Continuing her activity, Caroline held lives in such places as Taiwan and New York. In September, a new Mousse Pocky commercial was aired in Japan, featuring a song of Caroline's (Close Your Eyes). In October, Caroline's second single Sunrise was released (interestingly one day before her sister Olivia's single Wish / Starless Night).
In May of 2007, Caroline became the new vocalist for Mice Parade of Fatcat Records.
- [2006.03.06] Murmurs
- [2011.01.25] Verdugo Hills
- [2005.10.25] Where's My Love
- [2006.10.10] Sunrise
- [2008.01.08] Murmurs Mixes
Compilation / Other
- [2006.11.21] Thankful (#2 Wonderlust)
- [2006.08.30] Chu Dao Jin Ian Ri (出道紀念日) (#3 Where's My Love)
- [2007.02.28] 'Shibuya-ku Maruya-chou' Original Soundtrack (「渋谷区円山町」オリジナル・サウンドトラック) (#5 I Feel My Love)
- [2007.xx.xx] Add To Friends (#7 Bicycle (Lullatone Remix))