BLΛƆKPIИK (블랙핑크) is a Korean pop girl group created by YG Entertainment. They are the first girl group to debut under YG in seven years. The group debuted on August 8, 2016, with their single album "SQUARE ONE", with lead tracks "Hwiparam", their first number-one song in South Korea, as well as "BOOMBAYAH", their first number-one hit on the Billboard World Digital Songs chart. With the group's early commercial success, they were hailed as the New Artist of the Year at the 31st Golden Disc Awards and the 26th Seoul Music Awards.
BLACKPINK is the highest-charting female K-pop act on both Billboard Hot 100 and Billboard 200, peaking at #33 with "Sour Candy" and #24 with "KILL THIS LOVE". They are also the first and only K-pop girl group to enter and top Billboard's Emerging Artists chart, and the first female K-pop group to have four number-one singles on Billboard's World Digital Song Sales chart. Currently, they hold five Guinness World Records with their song "How You Like That" which debuted on June 26, 2020: most viewed YouTube video in 24 hours, most viewed YouTube music video in 24 hours, most viewed YouTube music video in 24 hours by a K-pop group, most viewers for the premiere of a video on YouTube, and most viewers for the premiere of a music video on YouTube. As of September 2019, BLACKPINK is also the most-subscribed music group on YouTube.
- 1 Members
- 2 Information
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Korean Discography
- 5 Japanese Discography
- 6 Filmography
- 7 Publiations
- 8 Endorsements
- 9 Awards
- 10 External Links
- Jennie (Main Rapper, Vocal)
- Jisoo (Lead Vocal)
- Lisa (Main Dance, Lead Rapper, Vocal, Maknae)
- Rosé (Main Vocal, Lead Dance)
Debut & First Comeback
After four years of teasers, videos, and various cameos, rumors began to stir in the beginning of May 2016 that YG Entertainment's new girl group was in the process of their debut. YG began revealing the final line-up every Wednesday over a period of four weeks, starting on June 1st with member Jennie and ending on June 22nd with member Rosé. On June 29th, the name of the group on was revealed to be "BLΛƆKPIИK". The meaning behind the name was given by a rep, who stated that it "aims to contradict the common perception of the color pink. Pink is commonly used to portray prettiness, but Black Pink actually means to say that 'Pretty isn't everything'. It also symbolizes that they are a team that encompasses not only beauty, but also great talent." It was also reported that the group would not have a leader, as the members were all close friends.
They released their debut digital single "SQUARE ONE" on August 8, 2016 with the lead tracks "Hwiparam" and "BOOMBAYAH". The group held a debut showcase on August 8th, which was broadcast live on Naver's V app. The music videos for both songs hit 1 million views in less than 12 hours, and went on to earn over 40 million views each. On April 14, 2017, "Hwiparam" reached 100 million views. BLACKPINK also snagged their first all-kill with "Hwiparam" on August 9th, and went on to achieve three more all-kills for the song on August 10th, August 14th, and August 21st. "Hwiparam" and "BOOMBAYAH" were also ranked #1 and #2, respectively, on Billboard's World Digital Songs chart, and the "SQUARE ONE" single topped the Worldwide iTunes Album Chart.
The group's first music show performance was aired on August 14, 2016 on SBS's Inkigayo. They were nominated for their first award for the August 21st episode of Inkigayo, which they won, making them the girl group with the shortest time between debut and #1 nomination. It was later revealed that the group would only promote on Inkigayo, following in the steps of previous YG artists.
On October 19th, Yang Hyun Suk himself revealed on his twitter that the group would be making a comeback with "SQUARE TWO" on November 1st. The countdown to the release was filled with teaser pictures followed by behind the scenes videos for the music videos of both lead tracks "Buljangnan" and "STAY". Both MVs reached 2 million views in under 15 hours. 24 hours after their release, the MV for "Buljangnan" hit about 4.3 million views and the MV for "STAY" hit about 3.6 million views, and went on to have 27 million and 16 million views, respectively.
"Buljangnan" went on to top Billboard's World Digital Song Sales chart on November 19th. The song then entered the Billboard's Canadian Hot 100 chart at number 92 which was the first time a K-pop girl group placed on the chart.
2017: Comeback & Japanese Debut
On May 17, 2017 it was announced that BLACKPINK would make their debut in Japan with a mini-album on August 9th.
On June 6th, it was rumored that the group was filming a new music video that week and their comeback would be mid-month. This was confirmed on June 12th when an official teaser was revealed with the date of June 22nd. Over the next few days, individual teasers were revealed followed by a group teaser sporting the name of the title track, "Majimak Cheoreom", or "As If It's Your Last" in English. An MV teaser of the song was uploaded to YouTube on June 20th. The digital single was released online on the 22nd. The track topped Billboard's "World Digital Song Sales" for the week of July 8th, and the girls ranked fifteenth on the "Social 50" chart.
The music video for "Majimak Cheoreom" set the records for fastest K-pop group to reach 10 million views (17 hours), 20 million views (47 hours), 30 million views (five days), 50 million views (15 days), 60 millions views (20 days), and 100 million views (48 days) on YouTube.
On July 20, 2017, the group held a showcase at Nippon Budokan in Tokyo. More than 14,000 people attended the showcase, and it was reported that around 200,000 people tried to get tickets for it.
They made their Japanese debut on August 30, 2017, with the release of their self-titled Japanese mini-album.
2018: First Mini-Album
In 2018, it was announced that BLACKPINK would be returning with a repackaged version of their Japanese mini-album titled Re: BLACKPINK. The mini-album was released on March 28 and contained all of their previous songs in both Japanese and Korean.
On May 25th, Yang Hyun Suk confirmed that the group would be releasing their first mini-album in mid-June. The mini-album, titled SQUARE UP, was released on June 15th with lead track "DDU-DU DDU-DU". A second lead track, "FOREVER YOUNG" was added after receiving positive feedback. The music video for "DDU-DU DDU-DU" was released simultaneously with the mini-album and reached 10 million views in only 6 hours and 15 minutes, creating a new record for a K-pop girl group. The music video went on to break more records, reaching 50 million views in less than three days and 60 million views in about 82 hours, beating their own record for "Majimak Cheoreom" sixfold, and 90 million in 8 days. BLACKPINK became the fastest K-Pop group to reach 200 million views on YouTube in just 33 days. The song also achieved and all-kill on domestic music charts while the mini-album topped iTunes album charts in 41 countries, including Spain, Thailand, and Canada.
On the same day as their mini-album release, BLACKPINK unveiled member Instagram accounts. Their accounts broke records for female K-pop members garnering 1 million followers the fastest, with Jennie's in 16 hours followed by Rose, Jisoo, and Lisa in 17, 18, and 19 hours respectively, also ranking them third through sixth worldwide, with only Pope Francis and EXO's Kai beating them out.
On August 16th, BLACKPINK became the first K-Pop girl group to receive a "Diamond Creator Award" after reaching over 10 million subscribers on their YouTube channel.
On October 6th, BLACKPINK became the fastest K-Pop group to reach 400 million views on YouTube with "DDU-DU DDU-DU". On the 30th, YG Entertainment confirmed that BLACKPINK had officially signed on with the American label Interscope Records, a sub-label under Universal Music Group.
In November, the group announced their first world tour would begin in Asia in January 2019. They also held two concerts in Seoul on November 10th & 11th.
On December 6th, YouTube revealed the top 10 most popular music videos of 2018 in South Korea, with BLACKPINK coming in second place with the MV for "DDU-DU DDU-DU".
2019: World Tour, Second Mini-Album
On January 3, 2019, it was announced that BLACKPINK would be performing at the 2019 Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in April. On January 9th, YG Entertainment revealed their world tour would also include North America, Europe, and Australia. The Asia leg of 2019 WORLD TOUR [IN YOUR AREA] began on January 11th in Bangkok, Thailand.
On February 8th, Yang Hyun Suk revealed BLACKPINK's comeback would be a mini-album in mid-to-late March. In the midst of their world tour, BLACKPINK headed to New York City to make their American talk show debut, appearing on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on February 11th. They are the second Korean girl group to appear on the show following Girls' Generation in 2012. The following day they appeared on Good Morning America. On the 27th, it was revealed that BLACKPINK had been nominated for a Kids' Choice Award.
On March 6th, it was revealed that BLACKPINK had become the second most followed group on Instagram. On the 8th, the music video for "DDU-DU DDU-DU" reached 700 million views on YouTube, making BLACKPINK the first ever K-Pop group to achieve the feat.
It was confirmed on March 23rd by CEO Yang Min Seok that the group had finished filming their music video for their new title track. Teasers for the release began dropping the following day. In the midst of gearing up for their comeback, it was also revealed that BLACKPINK had entered Forbes' "30 Under 30 Asia". Following image and video teasers, the mini-album KILL THIS LOVE with the title track of the same name, which was described by YG as being even more explosive than their previous track "DDU-DU DDU-DU", was released on April 5, 2019. The title track ranked #1 on the US iTunes chart making BLACKPINK the first Korean girl group to rank first on iTunes in the US. It also entered Spotify's Global Top 50 chart at #4, the highest rank for any K-Pop artist thus far. The music video for the song also trended at #2 on YouTube and gained 56.7 million views in 24 hours, not only putting them back on top as the K-pop group with the most music video views in the first 24 hours but becoming the biggest music video debut in YouTube history. The video also became the fastest music video to 100 million views in under 3 days and to 300 million views in 32 days. After seven months, BLACKPINK became the first K-Pop group to have their video reach 1 billion views. "KILL THIS LOVE" made it on to Billboard's staff-curated list of the 100 Best Songs of 2019, at #66. The song, "Forever Young", released as a B-side from the mini-album SQUARE UP in 2018, surpassed 2.5 million downloads in December 2019, making it the group's fifth song overall and their second to achieve a Platinum certification for downloads from the Korea Music Content Association (KMCA).
BLACKPINK performed at Coachella on April 12 and April 19, 2019. On April 18th, they performed on the CBS talk show The Late Late Show with James Corden. According to Chart Data on May 8th, the group became the most streamed girl group in YouTube history, surpassing Fifth Harmony.
On October 16, 2019, a Japanese version of their mini-album KILL THIS LOVE was released as an album within the Japanese market. The group embarked to Japan for a variety of promotional activities, including appearances on Japanese music television programs TV Asahi's Music Station and Fuji TV's Love Music.
On November 13th, TIME revealed BLACKPINK had made their list of TIME's 100 NEXT "Phenoms".
2020: First Full-Length Album & Netflix Documentary
On April 22nd, it was confirmed the group would be featured on Lady Gaga's sixth studio album Chromatica, on the track titled "Sour Candy", which was released as a promotional single on May 28, 2020. On the Billboard Hot 100 chart, the song debuted at #33, giving Gaga her 25th top 40 hit and BLACKPINK their first, becoming their highest charting song in the United States to date as well as the highest charting song by a K-pop girl group. In Australia, the song debuted at #8 becoming their highest charting position in the country. It also became their first top-twenty single in the United Kingdom, debuting at #17.
On May 18th, YG Entertainment announced the group would release a pre-release single in June, followed by an additional release between July and August, to promote their first Korean full-length album, containing at least ten tracks, in September. On June 2nd, an announcement was made that after the release of the group's first full length album, Rosé, Lisa, and Jisoo would release their solo projects when ready, with Rosé’s solo album releasing first. On June 10th, a teaser poster announced the pre-release single, later revealed to be titled "How You Like That", through all social media platforms and was digitally released on June 26th. In the midst of comeback preparations, YG Entertainment released a prologue of BLACKPINK's newest reality show, 24/365 with BLACKPINK on June 13th ahead of launch through YouTube. The show will document their comeback alongside sharing their lives through vlogs. On June 30th, Guinness World Records revealed that BLACKPINK now held five world records following the release of "How You Like That": most viewed YouTube video in 24 hours, most viewed YouTube music video in 24 hours, most viewed YouTube music video in 24 hours by a K-pop group, most viewers for the premiere of a video on YouTube, and most viewers for the premiere of a music video on YouTube. The song debuted at #12 on the Gaon Digital Chart with just one day and 16 hours of tracking and peaked at #1 on the Gaon digital, download, and streaming charts on its second week. "How You Like That" became their fifth song to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #33. The song ranked first in YouTube Music's Global Top 10 Songs of Summer 2020, and won Song of Summer at the 2020 MTV Video Music Awards, making BLACKPINK the first Korean female act to win at the award show.
On July 23rd, YG Entertainment announced that a new single, "Ice Cream", with American singer Selena Gomez, would be released on August 28th. "Ice Cream" debuted and peaked at #13 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it their highest-charting song on the chart.
BLACKPINK released their first Korean studio album, THE ALBUM, with "Lovesick Girls" as the lead track, on October 2, 2020. Leading up to the premiere of their music video, the group featured in YouTube's new original music show Released as the show's first featured artist. The show included "unfiltered access" moments of the group. The album ranked #2 on Billboard 200, which is the highest ever for a K-pop girl group and the highest a girl group has ever reached since April 2008.
On September 8th, Netflix and BLACKPINK announced they would be releasing an all-access documentary covering the four years since the group's debut in 2016 titled BLACKPINK: Light Up The Sky. The documentary premiered on October 14th and included video footage from their training days, looks at their home life, and behind-the-scenes stories and interviews with the members.
On October 28th, BLACKPINK officially became the first K-pop girl group to become million-selling artists by selling over 1.2 million copies of THE ALBUM. The girl group who previously held the title of most albums sold was S.E.S's Love with 760,000 copies all the way back in 1999.
Official Fanclub: BLINK
- [2020.10.06] THE ALBUM
- [2016.08.08] SQUARE ONE
- [2016.11.01] SQUARE TWO
- [2017.06.22] Majimak Cheoreom (마지막처럼; As If It's Your Last)
- [2017.12.25] SO HOT (THEBLACKLABEL Remix)
- [2020.06.26] How You Like That
- [2020.08.28] iCE Cream (BLACKPINK & Selena Gomez)
Concerts / Lives
- [2019.08.23] BLACKPINK 2018 TOUR IN YOUR AREA SEOUL
Compilations / Other
- [2018.10.19] Dua Lipa - DUA LIPA (Deluxe Edition) (Disc 2 #3 KISS AND MAKE UP (DUA LIPA & BLACKPINK))
- [2020.05.28] Lady Gaga - Sour Candy (with BLACKPINK)
- [2020.05.29] Lady Gaga - Chromatica (#10 Sour Candy (with BLACKPINK))
- [2019.03.13] BLACKPINK ARENA TOUR 2018 "SPECIAL FINAL IN KYOCERA DOME OSAKA" (Digital)
- [2020.05.14] BLACKPINK 2019-2020 WORLD TOUR IN YOUR AREA -TOKYO DOME- (Digital)
- [2018.08.22] DDU-DU DDU-DU
Concerts / Lives
- [2019.03.22] BLACKPINK ARENA TOUR 2018 "SPECIAL FINAL IN KYOCERA DOME OSAKA"
- [2020.05.06] BLACKPINK 2019-2020 WORLD TOUR IN YOUR AREA -TOKYO DOME-
-  BLACKPINK TV
- [2016.11.16] Weekly Idol (ep 277)
- [2016.12.11] Running Man (ep 281)
-  BLACKPINK HOUSE
- [2019.05.22] BLACKPINK OFFICIAL PHOTO BOOK "BLACKPINK"
-  Reebok Classic
-  St. Scott's 2016 F/W Collection
-  Saint Scott
- [2016.11.16] 2016 Asia Artist Awards: Rookie Group Award
- [2016.11.19] 2016 MelOn Music Awards: Best New Artist Award
- [2016.12.02] 2016 Mnet Asian Music Awards: Best of Next Artist Award - Female, Best Music Video - "Hwiparam"
- [2017.01.13] 31st Golden Disk Awards: New Artist Award
- [2017.01.19] 26th Seoul Music Awards: New Artist Award
- [2017.02.22] 6th GAON Chart K-Pop Awards: Artist of the Year - August & November, New Artist of the Year (Rookie Award)
- [2017.10.31] Busan One Asia Festival Awards: Style Icon Award
- [2018.01.10] 32nd Golden Disc Awards: Digital Bonsang
- [2018.01.25] 27th Seoul Music Awards: Bonsang
- [2018.02.14] 7th GAON Chart K-Pop Awards: World Rookie Award
- [2018.02.26] 32nd Japan Gold Disc Awards: Best 3 New Artists
- [2018.10.11] MTV Video Music Awards Japan 2018: Best Dance Video - "DDU-DU DDU-DU"
- [2018.12.01] 2018 MelOn Music Awards: Best Dance (Female) - "DDU-DU DDU-DU", MelOn Top 10
- [2018.12.12] 2018 Mnet Asian Music Awards: Worldwide Fan's Choice Top 10
- [2019.01.05] 33rd Golden Disc Awards: Digital Bonsang, Cosmopolitan Artist Award
- [2019.01.23] 8th Gaon Chart Music Awards: Song of the Year (June) - "DDU-DU DDU-DU", "Forever Young"
- [2019.05.05] 2019 Shorty Awards: Best in Music
- [2019.08.11] 2019 Teen Choice Awards: Choice Song (Group) - "DDU-DU DDU-DU"
- [2019.10.20] BreakTudo Awards 2019: Music Video of the Year - "KILL THIS LOVE", Boom Video of the Year - "Kill This Love", Best Collaboration - "Kiss and Make Up", K-pop Female Group
- [2019.11.10] 45th People's Choice Awards - The Group of 2019, The Music Video of 2019 - "KILL THIS LOVE", The Concert Tour of 2019
- [2019.11.16] 2019 V Live Awards - V Heartbeat: Top 12 Global Artists
- [2019.12.04] 2019 Mnet Asian Music Awards: Worldwide Fans Choice
- [2020.12.05] 2020 Melon Music Awards: Best Dance Award (Female) - "How You Like That", Top 10 Awards
- [2020.12.06] 2020 Mnet Asian Music Awards: Best Female Group, Best Dance Performance (Female Group) - "How You Like That", Worldwide Fans' Choice Top 10
- [2021.01.09] 35th Golden Disc Awards (Day 1): Digital Bonsang
- [2021.01.10] 35th Golden Disc Awards (Day 2): Album Bonsang
- [2021.01.13] 10th Gaon Chart Music Awards: Monthly Song of the Year (June) – "How You Like That", (October) "Lovesick Girls", Social Hot Star, Mubeat Global Choice Award
TV Music Shows
- [2018.06.23] MBC Show! Music Core #1
- [2018.06.24] SBS Inkigayo #1
- [2018.06.28] Mnet M! Countdown #1
- [2018.06.29] KBS Music Bank #1
- [2018.06.30] MBC Show! Music Core #1
- [2018.07.01] SBS Inkigayo #1
- [2018.07.05] Mnet M! Countdown #1
- [2018.07.07] MBC Show! Music Core #1
- [2018.07.08] SBS Inkigayo #1
- [2018.07.12] Mnet M! Countdown #1
- [2018.07.14] MBC Show! Music Core #1
- [2020.07.05] SBS Inkigayo #1
- [2020.07.08] SBS Show Champion #1
- [2020.07.09] Mnet M! Countdown #1
- [2020.07.11] MBC Show! Music Core #1
- [2020.07.12] SBS Inkigayo #1
- [2020.07.15] SBS Show Champion #1
- [2020.07.16] Mnet M! Countdown #1
- [2020.07.18] MBC Show! Music Core #1
- [2020.07.19] SBS Inkigayo #1
- [2020.07.24] KBS Music Bank #1
- [2020.07.31] KBS Music Bank #1
- [2020.10.11] SBS Inkigayo #1
- [2020.10.14] SBS Show Champion #1
- [2020.10.15] Mnet M! Countdown #1
- [2020.10.16] KBS Music Bank #1
- [2020.10.18] SBS Inkigayo #1
- [2020.10.25] SBS Inkigayo #1
- Official Korean Website
- Official Japanese Website
- Official Facebook
- Official Twitter
- Official Instagram
- Official Weibo
- Official YouTube