- Girls' Generation
- 2010.10.17 (iTunes Digital Single)
- 2010.10.20 (Physical Edition & Recochoku Digital Single)
- Catalog Number
- UPCH-89088 (Limited CD+DVD Edition)
- UPCH-89090 (Regular CD+DVD Edition)
- UPCH-80207 (Regular CD Only Edition)
- ¥1,800 (Limited CD+DVD Edition)
- ¥1,400 (Regular CD+DVD Edition)
- ¥1,100 (Regular CD Only Edition)
- ¥250 (Digital Single)
- Digital Single Tracklist
- CD Tracklist
- Gee (Korean ver.)
- Gee (Without Main Vocal)
- DVD Tracklist
- Gee (Original ver.) (Music Clip)
- Gee (Dance Ver.) (Limited CD+DVD Edition Only)
"Gee" is the second Japanese single released by Girls' Generation. It was released in three editions: a limited CD+DVD edition, a regular CD+DVD edition and a regular CD Only edition. The limited CD+DVD edition includes a special photobook and a random (1 of 9) photocard. As their debut Japanese single, it includes three versions of one of their Korean hit song, "Gee". The title track was used as the commercial song for the Japanese hard candy brand "e-ma".
The Korean version of "Gee" was originally included on their first Korean mini-album of the same name, Gee, which was released on January 7, 2009.
On the first day of the song in Korean music sites, it reached #10 on Melon (Korean's biggest online music store), which set a record for SM Entertainment artists. Quickly after, it reached #1 on all major Korean music sites, including Melon. It was the first time that a SM song reached the #1 spot in Melon. It managed to win 9 times in KBS Music Bank "K-chart" and 3 times in SBS Inkigayo "Take Seven" chart (3 times is the limit for Inkigayo), and it was chosen as the top song for the first half of 2009 in KBS Music Bank on June 2009. "Gee" was the song that stayed the most number of weeks in KBS Music Bank's K-Chart Top 20, with a total of 22 weeks. The song was promoted in music programs from January to March 2009.
The Korean music video for Gee was the most viewed video of 2009, in the most used streaming video site in Korea, GomTV. It has been viewed 9,889,057 times (as of February 2010). There were two different music videos produced for the Korean version of the song, one that featured the girls in a colorful environment, and another that has them dressed in shorts.
"Gee" has been covered and parodied several times by different (well-known and unknown) Korean comedians, musicians and singers. The dance has been performed many times by Koreans, as can be seen in Youtube and Daum videos. The song was popular even amongst Harvard law students, and due to the students' request, Girls' Generation meet them in March 26, at SM Entertainment while they were in a research about Korean Culture.
- E-TRIBE, Nakamura Kanata
- Other Information
- Arrangement: E-TRIBE
The song is composed by E-TRIBE, who also composed various hit songs, such as Lee Hyori's U-Go-Girl, but thanks to Gee's popularity, his fame as a composer skyrocketed in Korea.
- Found on Gee mini-album as track #1. This is the standard Korean version.
- Gee (Japanese)
- Found on "Gee" single as track #1. This is the standard version except with Japanese lyrics.
- Gee [KOREAN VER.]
- Found on "Gee" single as track #2. This is the standard Korean version with a different title for it's Japanese release.
- Gee [WITHOUT MAIN VOCAL]
- Found on "Gee" single as track #3. This is the standard version except without the main vocals.
Oricon Chart Positions
|-||-||-||-||-||-||-||out for one week|
|-||-||-||-||-||-||-||out for 16 weeks|
Total Reported Sales: 206,346*
Total Sales in 2010: 130,145 (#49 single of the year)
Total Sales in 2011: 75,589 (#101 single of the year)
Riaj Digital certifications:
RIAJ ringtone downloads: Double platinum (500,000+)
RIAJ full-length cellphone downloads: Double platinum (500,000+)
RIAJ PC downloads: Platinum (250,000+)
- Oricon Profile: Limited CD+DVD Edition First Press | Regular CD+DVD Edition | Regular CD Only Edition
- iTunes Digital Single
- Recochoku: Digital Single | Single